Here is a notification from our local train providers concerning cleanliness and hygiene on our trains.
The entire fleet of Southern, Thameslink, Great Northern and Gatwick Express trains, plus stations and staff areas have been treated with a powerful new viruscide which sticks to surfaces, killing the viruses for up to 30 days.
The product further improves the already-enhanced cleaning regime, in which stations and staff areas are treated with more short-term viruscides, and all 2,700 of its train carriages are sanitised every night.
While the current advice remains to only use public transport if you absolutely have to, the product provides another layer of protection for passengers who do need to travel such as key workers and staff who are valiantly supporting the national effort on the front line.
A specially-developed app also tells staff at-a-glance when each train carriage was last cleaned with the long-lasting viruscide.
Alongside an extensive cleaning regime a number of measures have been introduced to improve the safety of passengers and staff. These include:
- Adjusting shift patterns for our staff and enabling some staff members to standby at home
- Face masks and hygiene packs for all frontline colleagues
- Delivering extra train capacity and services in response to passenger, staff and stakeholder feedback
- Ordered 1,000 no touch hand sanitisers for staff and passengers at stations
- Developed a social distancing app to enable frontline staff to provide Control with real-time information and alter services as required
- Installed a range of signage across our stations and onboard to encourage social distancing
They are continually reviewing safety procedures, alongside the wider industry, and seeking feedback from passengers and staff to ensure they are delivering the most up to date practices during this time.