Unsung heroes’ from Lewes District Council’s waste services team were singled out for praise by senior councillors who visited the Newhaven depot in Robinson Road.
During the visit last Thursday (Oct 22), Councillor Adrian Ross, Council Chair, and Councillor Julie Carr, Cabinet member for Recycling, Waste and Open Spaces, thanked all Environment First staff for their hard work in keeping the district clean and bins emptied, especially during the pandemic.
They also commended five staff who were nominated by team leaders for their dedication. They were:
- Dwayne Mitchell, from the refuse team, who was recognised for personally handling any issues that arise and giving first-class customer service to residents.
- Simon Goodchild, from the recycling team, who adapted brilliantly after moving from a rural round, which he had worked on for 10 years, to cover Lewes and has ‘excelled’.
- Dan Harman, from the streets team, who is described as ‘a great worker’ and ‘very conscientious’ about keeping streets clean despite obstacles in his way.
- Amy Ranson, from the office, who has worked very well using the office computer system supporting our transition to a new “One Stop Shop” digital solution
- Kevin Bourne, from fleet workshops, does an outstanding job in leading the day-to-day servicing and repairs of our vehicles, with safety and presentation always paramount.
Councillor Ross said: “It was great to meet the Environment First team that serves our district so well in carrying out the important work of collecting our bins and keeping our environment clean so people can continue to enjoy the outdoors.
“Particular thanks go to the five unsung heroes for showing exceptional commitment to their jobs in these challenging times, who are representative of a high calibre team of frontline staff.
“Many neighbours and residents noticed that when almost everything else stopped in lockdown, our bins and recycling collections continued almost unchanged. Great work and many thanks to the whole team!”
Councillor Carr added: “We are very proud of our waste services team for the excellent service they give, and it is no surprise that many residents have expressed their thanks directly to them.
“Covid-19 has posed a variety of difficulties for them, all of which have been overcome, much to their credit.”
Photo shows Cllr Ross (back row, centre) and Cllr Carr (far left) with some of Environment First’s ‘unsung heroes’