With the Summer finally starting to show itself, and lighter evenings there will be an increase of parties across the district; often noise/music related incidents are best dealt with other local authorities such as Environmental Health, or local Councils; if the situation feels like it may get heated or violent as a result of the noise, police will intervene.

Nuisance noise is any loud or persistent noise that causes ongoing concern or affects quality of life. Your local council should be the first contact for reporting nuisance noise as this isn’t usually a matter for the police.

If there’s no evidence of criminal activity, it is always suggested trying to talk peacefully to the person responsible for the noise. They may already be trying to fix it. Unbelievable as it may seem, they may not even be aware of the problem.

If the person doesn’t want to stop the noise completely, try to reach an amicable compromise, such as no music after 11pm.

If you feel you can’t talk to the people involved, or they won’t listen, contact the Environmental Health team at your local council. They’ll be able to investigate and take steps to end the noise.