Be mindful burglars know that many households often have new and often expensive, items in their homes over Christmas.
Post Christmas crime prevention advice:
- Avoid becoming an easy target for post-holiday burglars/robbers by not leaving boxes for new electronics and other items outside your wheelie bin.
- Break down any boxes you are throwing out and put them in rubbish bags and place them inside the wheelie bin.
- With computer equipment, you might consider keeping the boxes for safe storage, or moving in the future.
- Think about keeping broken-down boxes inside in a garage or loft, or taking them to recycle centres in the New Year.
- Register your property on the national property marking database; if your valuables are stolen it will allow you to tell the police, your insurer and second-hand traders to assist in recovering your property and catch the thieves.