It gives us great pleasure to announce that The Mayor of Peacehaven, Cllr Claude Cheta, raised just over £12,000 in support of his charity work during his 2019/20 term of office.
This means that £2,500 will be awarded to each of the following charities:
• Chillax, Youth Centre – sited at the Evangelical Church Hall
• Community Transport Lewes Area (CTLA)
• Know Dementia – a wonderful group who organise activities and shows at Community House, Meridian Centre for those with Dementia
• Kempton House Day Centre – catering for vulnerable adults in Peacehaven and organising regular outings for their members
During a recent Council meeting, it was resolved that Councillor Cheta should remain as Mayor of Peacehaven, until a new Mayor is elected when the COVID-19 emergency measures allow.
The Mayor has decided, to make an immediate donation of £1,000 to the Seahaven Food Bank, which will be the only charity he will be supporting for the time being. The urgent need for supplies is vital for residents in Peacehaven and the surrounding areas.
Cllr Cheta would like to express a plea for local people to support this charitable organisation which is based in Newhaven. There are various ways to do this, as follows: –
• To donate tins, breakfast cereal, Jams, spreads & toiletries direct to the Seahaven Food Bank at Denton Island, Newhaven
• To make a ‘GoFundMe’ donation via the SCDA, Seahaven Food Bank Facebook page
• A cheque made out to Peacehaven Town Council – Marked for the attention of the Mayor’s Charity Fund
Seahaven Foodbank, also known as Newhaven Foodbank, provides food parcels to families and individuals in the coastal areas.
The falloff in food donations caused by the Covid-19 crisis and the jump in demand means that the service has had to start buying food and other essential products.
This, together with the need to move to a delivery model and the widening of the geographical area served, has increased costs significantly. A financial donation will enable supplies to be purchased and distributed to those who are struggling and vulnerable. A food parcel for an individual for one-week costs £14, or £18 with toiletries. All donations will go directly to purchasing items for food parcels, please donate on-line or via the SCDA Facebook page. For further information please contact 01273 516032.
Your help is more urgently needed now! No-one should be left behind, please support your community as much as you can.